Why generator stator winding fails?
- Poor coil/bar manufacturing quality
- Poor coil/bar installation quality
- Winding stresses during generator operation
Sources of stress in the machine that lead to stator winding deterioration :
- Thermal – heat generated by the working generator ( thermal cycling)
- Mechanical – caused by machine vibration
- Electrical – caused by voltage stress
- Chemical stresses – caused by the breakdown of materials, insulation “glue”
- epoxy resin) and other components over time.
- Environmental factors